Resources / Professional Responsibility
Professional Responsibility Concerns (PRC)
Your professional Standards and Code of Ethics dictate that you must advocate for the resources and supports required to provide safe, competent, and ethical nursing care. The PRC process provides you an avenue to safely raise concerns relative to patient/resident/client care.
Common examples of PRCs include concerns about: staffing or skill mix, workload/assignments, communication, equipment or technology, space or environment where care is to be delivered, policies and procedures, orientation and training.
Reporting a Professional Responsibility Concern
- Discuss the issue with your immediate supervisor/Manager. If you are uncomfortable or unable to have this discussion, your Local may assist you or have the discussion on your behalf.
- Fill out a Professional Responsibility Concern Form (PRCF) as soon as possible, provide as much detail as possible about the incident or issue including recommendations to resolve the issue, and do not use the names of patients/residents/clients on the form.
- You can fill out a paper PRCF or you may fill out the PRCF electronically on the UNA app (available for iOS and Android) and online at dms.una.ab.ca/forms/prc
- Paper PRCF: provide a copy to your Local, your Manager, and keep a copy for yourself.
- Electronic PRCF: enter your Manager’s email address to ensure they get a copy.
- If the PRC remains unresolved after discussing it with your Manager, the PRCF will be discussed at the joint UNA/Employer Professional Responsibility Concern Committee (PRCC) for your site/workplace.
- After submitting the PRCF to your Local, be prepared to stay involved. Your Local PRCC representatives may call or email you to gather more information, invite you to a PRCC meeting to speak to the issue you identified, share the Employer response to your PRCF, and discuss potential resolutions.
- UNA has the right to advance unresolved PRCs to the Employer CEO, an external Independent Assessment Committee, and the Employer Governing Board, if necessary.
Joint UNA-AHS Information Session
United Nurses of Alberta and Alberta Health Services have worked together to develop new resources to help UNA members, managers, and Professional Responsibility Concern Committees identify best practices for each step of the PRC process.
The new resources were launched at a series of joint information sessions across Alberta in October, November and December 2018. The sessions were presented by Heather Smith, President of United Nurses of Alberta, and Sean Chilton, Vice President, Health Professions & Practice of Alberta Health Services. This session was recorded in Edmonton on November 30, 2018.
A series of information sessions for members employed by Covenant Health were hosted by UNA and that employer in May 2018.
Note: If you require word versions of any of the templates below, please contact UNA Provincial Office and ask to speak to a PRC Advisor.
|Professional Responsibility Concern Form|
|Reporting a PRC Checklist39.91 KB|
|Resources for PRCC|
|Preparing for a PRCC Meeting Checklist26.32 KB|
|A Successful PRCC Meeting Checklist31.82 KB|
|UNA PRC Representative Roles and Responsibilities Checklist76.53 KB|
|Professional Responsibility Concern Form|
|Professional Responsibility Concern Form (PRCF)202.00 KB|
UNA members can also submit an electronic PRCF.
|UNA/Covenant Health PRC Best Practice Resources|
|Professional Responsibility Concern Best Practice1.40 MB|
|PRCC Meeting Agenda/Minutes Template124.83 KB|
UNA & Covenant Health PRC Best Practice Resources PRCC Meeting Agenda/Minutes Template
|Joint Briefing Note to CEO 80.36 KB|
UNA & Covenant Health PRC Best Practice Resources Joint Briefing Note to CEO
|Joint Briefing Note to Governing Board80.86 KB|
UNA & Covenant Health PRC Best Practice Resources Joint Briefing Note to Governing Board
|Manager PRC Response Form124.56 KB|
UNA & Covenant Health PRC Best Practice Resources PRC Response Form
|UNA/Covenant Health Professional Responsibility Concern Form (PRCF)211.88 KB|
|UNA/Alberta Health Services PRC Best Practice Resources|
|Professional Responsibility Best Practices 20191.80 MB|
|PRCC Meeting Agenda/Minutes Template - Word49.59 KB|
|PRCC Meeting Agenda/Minutes Template90.30 KB|
UNA & Alberta Health Services PRC Best Practice Resources PRCC Meeting Agenda/Minutes Template
|Manager Response to PRC (February 2021) - Word103.50 KB|
This form is to be completed by the most immediate supervisor in an excluded management position in response to a Professional Responsibility Concern (PRC). (MS Word)
|Manager Response to PRC (February 2021)177.32 KB|
This form is to be completed by the most immediate supervisor in an excluded management position in response to a Professional Responsibility Concern (PRC).
|PRC FAQs146.83 KB|
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding the Professional Responsibility Concern (PRC) Process.