UNA awards 15 nursing education scholarships plus one CFNU scholarship
United Nurses of Alberta has awarded 15 annual scholarships of $1,500 to nursing students from across Alberta as well as one Canadian Federation of Nurses Scholarship also worth $1,500.
This is the largest number of UNA nursing education scholarships ever awarded after a motion was passed at the union’s Annual General Meeting in 2021 to raise the number of annual scholarships from 10.
UNA’s scholarship program awards scholarships to applicants related to a UNA member who have completed an application form and written a short essay answering the question, “Why is the PRC process important to Alberta Nurses?”
This year’s UNA Scholarship winners are:
- Michaela Craig from Northwestern Polytechnic, sponsored by Michelle Callihoo from Local 136 (Barrhead Healthcare Centre)
- Sean Cooper from the University of Alberta, sponsored by Tammy Cooper from Local 301 (University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton)
- Quentin Clowater of the University of Calgary, sponsored by Maria Clowater from Local 95 (Alberta Children’s Hospital, Calgary)
- James Croucher of MacEwan University, sponsored by Joanne Croucher from Local 96 (Northern Lights Regional Health Centre, Fort McMurray)
- Kamiėl Dumanowski of Medicine Hat College/University of Calgary, sponsored by Pamela Dumanowski of Local 126 (Palliser Community, Medicine Hat)
- Larissa Paige Eifler of Mount Royal University, sponsored by Jennifer Eifler of Local 211 (Calgary Community)
- Sarah Jessican Franks of Grant MacEwan University, sponsored by Sheila Pederson of Local 85 (Sturgeon Community Hospital, St. Albert)
- Lauren Pack of the University of Lethbridge, sponsored by Colleen Pack from Local 164 (Taber Health Care Complex)
- Mia Pierson of Red Deer Polytechnic, sponsored by Alison Rosadiuk of Local 304 (Stony Plain Community Health)
- Abigail Pilgrim of Keyano College, sponsored by Juanita Pilgrim from Local 96 (Northern Lights Regional Health Centre, Fort McMurray)
- Sarah Salami of MacEwan University, sponsored by Biola Salami from Locals 234 and 316 (Hardisty Nursing Home and Good Samaritan, Edmonton)
- Avery Schiller of Northwestern Polytechnic, sponsored by Rachael Schiller from Local 73 (Westlock Health Care Centre)
- Reagan Speer of Lethbridge College, sponsored by past member Beckie Rudneski.
- Lauren Anne Thielen of Lethbridge College/University of Lethbridge, sponsored by Angie Thielen from Local 415 (South Health Campus, Calgary)
- Kiara Ukrainetz of MacEwan University, sponsored by Sheila Pederson from Local 85 (Sturgeon Community Hospital, St. Albert)
This year’s Canadian Federation of Nurses Union Scholarship winner is:
- Samantha Leak of Mount Royal University, sponsored by Anne Marie Martin from Local 415 (South Health Campus, Calgary).
Apply for a 2024 UNA Scholarship
Applications are now being accepted for UNA Nursing Education Scholarships. Applications must be completed and submitted by 4:30 p.m. on October 15, 2023.
UNA now awards up to 15 nursing scholarships of $1,500 each year and one award of $1,500 sponsored by the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions for students enrolled in first-year Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse track programs. This scholarship is not intended for postgraduate studies.
Applicants must be related to a UNA member or associate member in good standing.