Members of United Nurses of Alberta employed by Carewest at the Dr Vernon Fanning Centre in Calgary have voted to ratify their first collective agreement.
The contract will be rolled into the existing Carewest contract with UNA, which expires on March 31, 2024 and will continue until the ratification of the next agreement. The new agreement includes a salary schedule matching that of the already existing contact from other Carewest worksites plus a 2 percent salary increase as of April 1, 2023.
Improvements included in the first contract include:
- Four Personal Leave Days, continued until the ratification of the next agreement.
- Inclusion into the new supplemental benefits plan 90 days post ratification, including:
- Occupational Therapy: $50 a visit to a maximum of 20 visits per year (separate category)
- Physical Therapy: $50 a visit to a maximum of 20 visits per year (separate category)
- Massage Therapy: $50 a visit to a maximum of 20 visits per year and removal of physician's order
- Chiropractic: $50 a visit to a maximum of 20 visits per year
- Chartered psychologist: no visit cap to a combined maximum of 3,000 per year.
- Team Leads at the sites will be brought into the bargaining unit and roles, responsibilities and pay scales will be AHN level.
- Employees may choose to opt into a Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA) plan. Employees may change their allocations every second year.
UNA congratulates and thanks the Local and bargaining team members for their hard-work and solidarity during these negotiations. UNA recognizes the hard work that the members did in getting the word out and canvassing their coworkers during this process.
The bargaining unit of 123 Registered Nurses voted to join UNA on April 13, 2023.
UNA provides a wide range of services to its members. A key role is negotiating the excellent collective agreements that regulate salaries, benefits, schedules and working conditions of members. UNA also administers its agreements to resolve disputes, improve working conditions and protect nurses’ workplace rights.